Tuesday 8 June 2010

Watercolour Uruha Tutorial....

So this is just tutorial on watercolour painting, using Uruha from the Gazette. (Japanese rock musician)
*I am no where near an expert and do not know everything to do with watercolour painting, I just use them in a way I find best.
*I am not using watercolour paper so it will probably look different probably look different on there.
*The watercolours Im using are only Aquafine by I think Daler Rownay, I not sure if they are good or bad but I do find they are good quality for cheaper paints :).
*PLEASE click on this image to view it completely.

1. First, I started out by drawing my sketch. I use the basic guidelines for maping out Uruha's face from eye placement, nose and mouth and as I was using a reference I could get this better then if I was not. I always use a mechnical pencil for my sketches, ususally 0.5 to 0.7, depending on what I'm drawing or whether I have led in the pencil haha :P.

2. I then it come to the lining. With this all I made where the initial lines using a pigment liner 0.05. This was just so I could erase the pencil and see the lines clear for the next process.

3. Once all pencil lines where erased, I went over all the lines very roughly, just using a kind of scratchy, sketchy strokes to get this kinda of look. As I didnt want this piece to be completely perfect and neat. For this I again using a pigment liner 0.5 to get the thick bold lines.

4. Once all the lines were drawn over and I was happy with the way the lining looked I got on with the watercolours. So first thing I always do is the skin tones, so I any flows over the other lines I can easily just got over then with coloour.
For the skin tones I mixed Vermillion (redish orange), Gomboge (yellow), a small amount of Alizarin Crimson (pinkish red) and LOTS of water, I mean lots if you dont do that then you'll have a very orange person haha.
Then come Uruha's hair. This I found the hardest part to do, as I had to mix his hair colours to make it look natual. Colours for his hair I used Burnt Sienna (Redy Brown/light brown), Light Red (which to me looked more like light brown, but I'm just following what it says on my paints), Gomboge, Lemon Yellow, and Ivory Black. This took the most time.
Next come his clothes. For the more purple section I mixed Crimson,Prussian Blue and Colbalt Blue. For the reder section just Crimson and Prussian Blue and that was all the colours I used, again I insist you use LOTS of water, so when section dry you can always layer on it, or you cant always get the paint off.....or not that I know of hah.

5. So by that time it was pretty much complete all it come too was refineing the colours by layering slightly darker, brighter and different colours on certain sections, from Uruha's face and hair. I then used my 0.5 Pigment liner to cross-hatch parts that should be darker, go over lines and make part stand out, added the black background and then it was complete!! :).

All of this only took me about 30-40 minutes, it was a very quick piece :).
So yeah I hope this helps In some way and I hope this way of writing my tutorail worked our ok :).
Full view of the finish will be on my deviantART













Please note:

All of my drawings/paintings/ digital/ art pieces belong to me (MayonakaSun) and have been made by me alone.
You Do Not have permission to copy, repost, reproduce, print or sell ANY of my art work that I have posted thoughout my blog or on my deviantART page.

The only places I will ever post any of my art work is DeviantART and my blog, so if my art work shows up anywhere else on the internet or elsewhere you do not have the right to have put it there and I will not have give permission for it to be there, and I will insist you take it down immediately!
Update:My artwork will now also be seen on my tumblr as well as the sites mentioned above. Same things apply to my tumblr as the rest.

My/Me/ I /myself= MayonakaSun.
You= yourself reading/person(s) reading/viewing.
Art work/Art pieces = Digital art, traditional art, tutorials, drawings, paintings and crafts all made by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts~