Sunday 16 October 2011

Bunraku Movie Review

~ Bunraku Movie Review ~


 This is a review I have been waiting to do and finally I am able to do one!
The release date for UK DVD for Bunraku was 10th October 2011, but was delayed in delivery.....so I have only just been able to buy it....anyway lets get to the review....

What this film about? It about a lone 'drifter' 'cowboy' 'bandit' whatever he is who seeks revenge played by Josh Harnett and a Samurai without a sword searching for his families honour and their medallion played by Gackt! This sets them up in many challenges of having to go against 'killers'....Other cast member include Demi Moore, Woody Harrelson (Zombieland) and Ron Pearlman.

 To be completely honest I only watched this film because of Gackt.....so sliding that aside was this film good? It is a very artist film, with it looking like it literally come out of a comic book with a story to match. The sets are very imaginative, with the colours and lighting and I really liked them! It has a some what 'Sin City' feel with the comic book style.With that said though, I can tell its something only a small amount of people will enjoy looking at, as they sometimes bring about a slight 'cheap' feel, but that's for those that do not like this type of film.

The acting....well I know a lot of people watching will, like me, only be watching it for Gackt, so I will focus this on how well Gackt did. Though his English is not the best in this film, and some parts seeming a little strained due to that, he plays his part well. I think we finally see a real acting part from him....unlike 'Moonchild' where his acting seemed a little limited....haha~ Anyway, with this film he is one of the main characters along with Josh Hartnett the drifter and Woody Harrelson the bartender, in which these three I think really act well together.
One thing that really stands out the most is....how short Gackt is...I mean, I think we have all seen the photo of Josh Hartnett and Gackt standing along side each other you see it there plus we know hes..not that tall anyway....but its even more exaggerated when he stands next to Woody Harrelson And Hartnett...haha~

Hmm back to the review. The soundtrack I really like too, but in some scenes...its a little over powering and doesn't fit in at all with what going on....that gets a little annoying and slight distracting....but other then that it OK....

Now on to bad things. The film having a run time of 119minutes that being 1 hour 59 minutes, this film I find is a little too long and drag out a bit too much on certain scenes. With most of it talking in some parts of the film I find is a little unbalanced when it comes to fight scenes. Eventually when it does to to fight scenes however, some are good....and some a 'meh', they don't show any impact nor strength....though this could be viewed as bring it bringing a 'naturalness in an unrealistic world', they are slightly boring.....but that does not apply to all of them!

Now lets end this review with the overall opinion of Bunraku. I myself liked this film very much, it has its flaws but it still a good film....But that is if you like this type of film in the first place! For me it is a film I would watch over and over...1. because I have it on DVD, 2. it is a good overall film....and yes admittingly 3...because Gackt is in it.....but still, watch it! I don't think its a film you could go far wrong with for only £9.99 at HMV UK....I mean I've paid more for rubbish films so this one is by far a lot better for my moneys worth!

That's all, thanks for reading and give me your opinion of this film in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts~