Sunday 30 October 2011

Grell Sebastian Doll Tutorial

~ Grell Sebastian Doll Tutorial ~

 Hey! Well this is just a tutorial on how I made my Sebastian Doll. This doll is normally seen being held by Grell....nothing surprising there. I used this doll to assisst my 'casual'/The Making of Grell cosplay I wore to a small convention.
Anyway, lets begin!

1. Cut out your pieces. You will need to cut 2 of each piece so you can stitch them together afterwards! e.g 2 pieces for the head, 2 pieces for the body ect....make sure both arms are the same and both legs are the same!
I used Calico (60" wide Calico Fabric - per metre), but you can use any fabric you want!
A suggestion if you can't find a fitting fabric and cant find Calico is use shirt/blowse material and dye with Teabags to get a light cream look or even use coffee....but dilute with lots and lots of water!




















2. Next using a sewing machine, I stitched together all the pieces, 'right*' sides facing each other using a basic straight running stitch. This can be hand sewn, too but just be sure to keep your stitches tight and make sure you leave a gap so you can stuff it later on! Do this to all the pieces, again making sure to keep the stitches tight and leave a gap!
* The 'right' side of the fabric is the side of the piece you want to see in the finished piece. By stitching together the 'right' sides once it is sewn together and turned the 'right' way you will see that side neatly finished.If however you stitch together the 'wrong' sides, the wrong side will show when you turn it inside/the right way round. If you are using a plain fabric like Calico though, it doesn't matter which side!
3. Once all your pieces are stitched together, turn them all in the 'right' way and this is what it should roughly look like.
 4. Afterwards was his woolly hair! For this I used thick black woo Stylecraft Life Chunky Wool Knitting Yarn 100g (Black 2307) . I prefer using thick wool rather then thin wool as it seems to resemble the original more so then thin, but it is, however, completely up to you if you use thick or thin! Another suggestion that I've seen online on making his hair is black felt and glue or sew the separate pieces on (see my Grell plush as an example)...but as you can see this has a lot more rougher and less flexible feel, so I suggest if you can, use wool!
 So the process of putting the wool on and making it look like hair, I had two techniques as follows-

Hair 1-Using individual cut pieces of wool 15-20 cms in lengths I knotted one end and threaded it though a needle wide enough for the wool. With this I went from the inside of the head using the gap at the bottom and pulled the needle though until it reached the knot at the end. With this process it took absolutely ages. Though it very precise on where the wool/hair falls, it take forever!....Which is why I started doing the next technique.

Hair 2- With this one do not cut the wool until needed. Meaning no knotting it or cutting it...just use the ball of wool as itself! Thread your needle with the wool and stitch the wool in a straight line across the section you want the hair.



 Hair 2-2- Once you have stitch across the head do not cut the wool from the ball still! Begin pulling at the last stitch til its at the hair length you want. The go along like this at all of the stitches making sure all of them keep the same length. I used a ruler and pencil to hold them whilst I pulled at the stitches!  This is why I said do not cut the thread off at the ball of wool! 

Hair 2-3 Once you have them all at the same length, put something in between the hoops and cut them. Leave the ruler or object between the wool at this point...though if it falls out it doesn't matter, it just makes the next stage slightly easier if you choose to do it~



Hair 2-4- (Optional) When you cut them you will see that there is a top row of stitches and a bottom row. These all join up so starting at the end grab the two ends that are connected underneath the fabric and pull them so they are even in length.


Hair 2-4-2- With that knot them at base of the two as in the example.
Once all the wool was on I cut it to styleand it looked like this!

5. After all the hair is done I stuffed it! I used cotton wool and scrap material as I didn't have enough cotton. Do this will all the pieces.

6. Once all was stuffed, I made the outer stitches seen on the original. With this I used a thinner wool then his hair, but you can use the same one if you like. I just done basic stitches all the way around the edges. You can stitch it however you like.

7. Once all the pieces where stitched around I sewed all the pieces together using the wool and a basic hand stitch. This can be done however you like! Then I stitched the buttons that you saw previously as his eyes and his mouth using the same technique as the edge stitching then my Sebas-chaaaan...I mean Sebastian doll was done!
Anyway....thats how I made Grells Sebastian from Black Butler doll. I hope this helps you out and I would love to see photos of your dolls after.
 If you used my tutorial post a link in the comment section below and/or where ever you post a photo please link back to this tutorial! 
Thanks for Reading
MayonakaSun~

Please note, all of these rules apply to the contents of my entire blog, please read carefully!
All of my drawings/paintings/ digital/ art pieces belong to me (MayonakaSun) and have been made by me alone unless otherwise stated in my posts.


All text/writing/reviews are written by me (MayonakaSun) and written by myself (MayonakaSun) alone again unless otherwise stated in my posts.

You Do Not have permission to copy, repost, reproduce, print, paste or sell ANY of my art work and/or text/ writing that I have posted though out my blog and/or on my deviantART page.

The only places I will ever post any of my art work and text is DeviantART and my blog, so if my art work and/or text shows up anywhere else on the Internet or elsewhere you do not have the right to have put it there and I will not have give permission for it to be there, and I will insist you take it down immediately!

Update:My artwork will now also be seen on my tumblr as well as the sites mentioned above. Same rules apply to my tumblr as the rest.
Update2:My artwork will now also be featured in my Youtube videos as well as the sites mentioned above. Same rules apply to my Youtube account as the rest.
My/Me/ I /myself= MayonakaSun :- The owner of this blog and other sites mentioned above.

You= yourself reading/person(s) reading/viewing.

Art work/Art pieces = Digital art, traditional art, tutorials, drawings, paintings and crafts all made by me.

Text/writing= Reviews, tutorial explanation(s), art work write up/explanation(s).

8 comments:

  1. wonderful! *-*

    I'll try make one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      and Yes,please do!
      Please show a pic once you've finished if possible too, I'd love to see :D~

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thats great, any chance of seeing the finished result?? :D

      Delete
  3. yeah!! i went to sakuracon here in seattle as lingerie grell from the musical and I brought my finished sebby doll.

    http://lucy444.deviantart.com/#/d4vol7l

    ReplyDelete
  4. does it HAVE to be calico? or can it be plain gray fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, can be any fabric you want!
      I just used calico because it fit what I was making best :)
      Have fun making, and please do post a link of your doll here :)

      Delete

Please, share your thoughts~