Friday 3 June 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strange Tides

 

Yesterday I went to watch the new Pirates of the Caribbean: On stranger tides. As with all the Pirates films I excepted good things to come of this.
*This review will be vague as to not spoil anything*


So the story is about the pirates wanting to get to the fountain of youth, which was mention at the end of the last film 'At Worlds end'. This begins the adventure of trying to find their way there, encountering mermaids, elite Spanish pirates and an 'impersonation' of Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp). Along the way the familiar faces of Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), Captain Teague (Keith Richards) are met alongside new characters such as Angelica Malon (Penelope Cruz) and the fearsome Black Beard (Ian Mcshane).

So was this good? Yes...as with all the Pirate films it was good, but something’s such as the humour seemed to really struggle and seemed cringe-worthy-ly forced, as if trying to be funny....I cringed at some of the over the top and un-natural acting parts that were trying to be funny....for the sake of being a pirates films.....plus some parts where it almost seemed like they were thinking 'we will do this and that' to tick the boxes of what has been seen in previous pirates film to make it 'funnier'....which didn't work....

Other then annoyance of humour for me personally, I really liked this film. I think the action was good from the chase scenes, the sword fighting and escape scenes Johnny Depp played them out to his typical pirate-y, flamboyant perfection. 

The atmosphere of this filmed I think seemed a lot darker. I think that’s mainly because of the appearance of Black beard whose reputation of being the most gruesome, fearsome pirate was not tarnished with the acting of Ian Mcashane as he had the brutally of Blackbeard down to a T.

Another slight annoyance I found with this film was some parts seemed to rushed and somewhat unfinished, for example the mermaid scene. I reckon that was very much one of the highlights of the film as it had a  lot of action and excitement...but it seemed to be rush when it was ending the scene....if anything I think it should have went on for longer..But that’s just my opinion.

So my opinion of the film without the appearance of William Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Kiera Knightly)?...I don't think it made too much of a difference without them in the film as Jack Sparrow I think completely took their place and would have over shone them anyway if they were in it. 

Anyway lets finish this with yes the film was good very worth watching. Yes the story was good as a whole but things seemed rushed and yes the overall film was good...but it did seem to struggle to keep the same standard as the other Pirate films.
So yeah, if you are thinking of watching it, then yes Do! .... I pretty sure if you like the previous ones you'll like this...but except a few disappointments along the way.


Other movies to watch when your bored-> http://www.moviestowatchwhenbored.com/




 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts~