Thursday 30 June 2011

Green Lantern



So earlier I went to see 'Green Lantern' with my brother and a friend. This film has many bad reviews and has not done so well in other opinions, but this is what I thought of it.
*This review will be vague as to not spoil anything*
 So what is it about? It follows Hal Jordon (Ryan Reynolds) who starts off being a cocky, show offy, but fearless test pilot, whose is thrown in to super heroism when he is selected to become apart of the 'Green Lantern' corps, as the one of the first human recruits by a 'mysterious' ring.
This then, tells the story of why Hal was chosen and forces him to face his newly formed fears, and defeat 'Parallax'. Along the way we meet Caral Ferris (Black Lively), Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) and fellow Green Lantern Sinestro (mark Strong).


Now was the film good? As a film, yes for me it was good. Talking about story accuracy, the film does not follow the comic book, so no. But really, thinking of every Comic book to movie features none of them really has so this was not un-excepted.
I found the overall action was quite fast paced, but it with some parts, seemed very rushed and disjointed. It seemed to skip and cut to a different scenes with no explanation as to, how or why certain things happened. The overall atmosphere of the film was nice, it had that 'other worldly feel', which I wouldn't say drew you into the movie, just allowed to sit back and understand the immensity of this world that Hal was taken into. To me the best way to describe this atmosphere of this film is, 'video game-ish' mixed with a hint on comic book style. The graphics seemed that way, the music seemed that way and the action seemed that way. I felt as it  would come up with commands in some parts, asking me to 'Press X' or 'Press square' haha~ But that I think gave the film a very unique feel, which to some will see it as a bad thing, and to other obvious good.

Bad points about this film besides the rushed, skip/cut pacing was part of the CG 'hero powers'. This was something that really felt amateurish, with bit of it looking like and old 'Windows screensaver', it was pretty bad. But for me personally something I can look past, but again it will be 'an outrage' for others. Another thing, the story seemed to cramped and rushed.It was an obvious thing of 'they needed to fit a complex story of Green Lantern into 1 hour and 54 minutes', which I think with story tinkering (which was already done) and scraping the lovey-dovey 'romance' scenes between Caral Ferris and Hal could have easily been told with out a rush that its in now.

So now all that's been said, what do I think of this film overall? I think being one the 'unknown' Heroes, with people that don't like comic books or haven't had any interest in them until the films come out, this I think would have definitely vast opinions, and I think has a hard time competing with previous 'popluar' heroes in DC. Its not something I could really say 'yes' or 'no' to whether people will like it or not...which is a first for me writing reviews! haha. Though coming from my own personal opinion, I think it was good, was not the best but it was still a worth watch if you like hero films.

And with that I leave you with the Green Lantern motto which was only said in the film once! 'In brightest day, in blackest night. No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evils might,
beware my power, Green Lanterns light!'

That is all, thank you for reading!
Please tell me. Do you agree with the other critics/reviews? Or  think this film was good? Let me know below! 


*Sorry for any grammatical errors, I seemed to have found this hard to write today haha*



Other movies to watch when your bored- http://www.moviestowatchwhenbored.com/

      
 

2 comments:

  1. you should have like a one sentence summary at the end of your essay.

    i liked green lantern:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @xxwingxx 'I like Green Lantern' :) There 'ya go, its at the bottom right? Haha ;)~

    ReplyDelete

Please, share your thoughts~