Sunday 28 February 2010

Artist that work with decay

Well, when doing my art textiles essays on artists that work with decay,
I found that there where not many answers whilst I was searching
and that a lot just repeated themselves saying the same artist over and over such as Salavdor Dali, who only works with time decay like death and life not material decay which is what most people seemed to actually want.
So as I know how hard it is to find artists that work with decay on the web, for references for books to look for and reference in essays like myself, I thought I'd give you a small list of them.

So first one I though really helped me was a British contemporary artist called Helen Chadwick. She works with various mixed medias, such as rotten fruit, meat, urine, flowers and chocolate.

**In the example its 'Meat Abstract' made in 1989.
The next I think, that really helped me was Sam-Taylor Wood. She another British contemporary artist that uses video and film making to create her art.

Example for her work here with 'Still Life' made in 2001.



Another artist that work with decay in imagary made a still life painting of some moulding fruit was Caravaggio.
**This is called 'Basket of Fruit' made in 1599.



More artist that work with decay that can be explored are as follows:

Andy Goldworthy- Uses Photography to create his art. Records art and nature as it decays or in its decayed state.
Chaim Soutine- Paints decayed object, but mainly abstract art.
Salavdor Dali- As said above uses more life, death decay being more time and emotion decay.
Damien Hirst- Another artist who uses more life and death decay, but demonstrates it in disturbing ways and mixed media.

Anslem Kiefer- Does not do a lot of decay work, but some work follow the basic themes of it with life and death.


Well I hope this helped in some way.
Thank you for reading. :).


**All credits for the images go to the websites I used to find these images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts~