Wednesday 4 August 2010

The Good, The Bad, The Weird Review

I know this is quite an old film now (2008), but I just bought and watched it today as I've been wanting to for a while now, so it needs a review :D~
*Most will be vague because I don't want to ruin anything.

Well, I have to say this was a very funny film and a Korean interpretation of an Old Western, which has been pulled off very well and you can tell the director (Kim Jee woon) has done his research with high action and quite bloody not Gore though.
From the start, it comes straight to action with gun fire, bodies flying and a good 'ol train scene, which is were the story of the film starts, and begins to explain itself, with old western movie references from the most obvious one of 'The Good,the bad and the Ugly' starring Clint Eastwood, which leads me to the characters.

The acting was very good with the three main characters having their own personality with  Jung Woo Sung as the cool, untrusting, emotionless and Clint Eastwood wannabe Park Do-won/ 'The Good', Lee Byung Hun as the insane smiling, brutal killer Park Chang-yi/ 'The Bad' and Song Kang ho as the laid back, somewhat kind, pilot hat wearing Yoon Tae-goo /'The Weird', which makes the film all the more enjoyable to watch, as they all played their funny roles, their slicking shooting roles and serious roles very well.

I loved the scenery's/ sets, as they had a modern twist to the look of the old Western movies, with a hazy orange hue, which really set the scene.
The soundtrack though strange and some sounding more like it should be in Aladdin rather than a Western, was good and fit towards the typicial western music, though sometimes a bit over powering in some parts, with the action getting a little lost in the music, but otherwise it was good.

The DVD itself is 2 disc and as I got it in a Hmv deal thing, I only paid £5 for it, so regular price I wouldn't know, but I think it is definitely worth it and if more in fact because its a good, film with tons of special features from making of, deleted scenes, costumes and others which go on for ages, but in a good way not bad. The other thing, though has no importance at all, was some of the subtitles had typos which was kind of annoying but didn't make a huge difference to the viewing haha xD~

But yeah thats all I can think of at the moment, I say if you like Westerns with a modern twist or just Western in general or like crazy gun fire or have been wanting to watch it and havent yet,  watch it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts~